Saturday, April 22, 2006

At peace now

Dad finally found peace and wholeness at 9.25am on Friday 21st April. My Mum and I were there, holding his hand.

The doctors had given him less than 24hrs to live, on Sunday - but he carried on fighting. I spent between 8 and 9 hours every day at his bedside, not being able to tear myself away. He had little awareness, but I held his hand and spoke to him quietly, and I am sure he felt me there.

At 4.30am on Friday the hospital rang us and said to come quickly - it was still another 5 hours before the battle became too much for him. In all honesty, those 5 hours were hell and about the most appalling experience I could imagine - it was not a "pretty" death.

But he is at peace now, resting in the Lord, whole and healthy.

My pain is huge - he was such a good man, such a good father, that he has left a big hole. But I'd rather have the pain of millions of memories than have had a father who didn't impact upon my life in such a positive way.

His funeral will be huge (not till 12th May) as he was a very well respected man. My husband will be taking the service - very hard for him to do, but he refuses to let a stranger speak about my Dad.

I am out of email contact most of the time at the moment, but that will change. My Mum will be joining our family, and we will stay in the family home - once I have the necessary internet connection there, I will be taking back up my blog in earnest. After the funeral, I will be putting all my energies into building the future for my Mum, and my boys, that my Dad would have wanted for them.

Please pray for my Mum, who has lost a lifelong friend (they've known each other since young children) and her husband of 42 years.

5 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

(((Ann))) I am praying for your Mum and you. I am so sorry for your terrible loss, but happy for the wonderful life he had with his family and the peace he has found.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann. My sincerest condolences to you and your loved ones. The final hours are indeed agonizing, I have experienced it.But,as you said, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else either. May the peace that surpasses understanding, that comes only from our Lord, be yours in the hours and days ahead.

God Bless you and yours

Laurie (British Columbia)

Anonymous said...

(((Ann))). Love to you all. It is a hard time for you but you are blessed to have experienced a wonderful father and now he finally has peace ofter this terrible time. I will be praying for you all.
Carol
xxx

Lady Liberty said...

We are all sorry for your lost and keep you and your family in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Ann. Sending you and your Mum love and keeping you in my prayers,
Alice