Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Cards, Cookies and Community

Mother's Day was, well, more or less like any other day! Roarke was working, Mum went out with my brother all day, so it was church and home on my own with the boys.

However, I did get eight cards! Mum had got the boys to make a card each yesterday, which Roarke didn't know about, so he'd bought one in for the boys to sign. He'd also bought me one "from" Jonathan! Then at church they all made cards too (obviously, not Jonathan...!). They also gave a bunch of daffodils to each kid to give their mum - so I ended up with three bunches of flowers!

Despite have a 40% chance of snow, allegedly, on Sunday/Monday, we were obviously in the 60% and didn't get anything. Today, with no snow given, it is currently (at 6 oclock) a raging blizzard out there - still, the ground is so wet, and it doesn't look like it will last and therefore settle. Such a shame as the boys were hoping for one more go in the snow this year.

Found another great gf recipe yesterday which I adapted slightly, and which has been a hit with the whole family:

Chocolate Chip & Raisin Cookies

1-1/4 cup gf flour (we used Doves plain flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (which I made about 55 g)
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 bag Supercook chocolate drops (which are gf)
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375° F (180 C I think).

In a bowl, combine gf flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat butter and oil until smooth. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; continue beating until blended. Add vanilla and eggs; beat until incorporated. Add dry ingredients to batter, blending well. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips and raisins.

Put a heaped tablespoon of batter onto baking sheet. WARNING: THEY SPREAD! I ended up with giant cookies the first time! Bake for 8-10 min. Let cool briefly, then remove cookies from baking sheet and EAT!

Had to go out and get some new maternity trousers, as I've grown out of two of mine that are left overs from previous pregnancies. Its not my dress size, but the size of my bump which has outgrown them!

The boys yesterday watched a lot of Star Wars, and then built this:


Now I'm sure you can see what it is that they have built, but just in case you can't (maybe you aren't a Star Wars fan), its a four storey sand crawller ;0)

William said "does this count as learning", and the boys - before I could answer - said "yes, because its art, like a sculpture". I said I wasn't quite so sure, but William insisted it was. Why, I asked him. "Because I'm learning how to build a sand crawler". Ok, I said, but what use will that information be to you in the future?

"Well, if I get stuck in a desert I'll know how to build one" (as long as he has a pile of video boxes to hand, that is...)

Kids!

Today I was feeling very ill again by late morning, so Roarke came with us to Monkey Bizz. It was a good afternoon, with two new home educators turning up, and one family that only recently joined. Seven families in all, all with boys (!), and we had a really valuable time of exchanging ideas, support, experiences and encouragement. The sort of day that is truly uplifting and makes you recognise the value of local support for families.

Another media enquiry this evening, from the Daily Mail. A piece on educating boys, shortly to be published - I'll let you know! Not just about HE, obviously, but it will be interesting to read the whole piece and see how they cast HE.

I have my consultants appointment tomorrow, so hopefully they can reassure me about the nausea, headaches, bounding pulse and dizziness. The iron tablets are having some effect (other than the nasty side effects!) but I still don't feel "well" and would like the reassurance that all is "normal". Also, I'd like to ask for a scan to check there isn't any worrying reason why Jonathan is causing me so much pain; there is one area that he pushes against frequently that is so painful it can make me yell out loud - its excruciating. I guess its a mixture of 4th child (thinner uterus) and having a sensitive/irratable uterus, but I find his movement very tiring. I can feel him all the time unless he is asleep - currently for about 5 hrs a day only when he is totally still. He even wakes me in the night with his movements! Its like having a new born already!

1 comment:

IndigoShirl said...

The recipe sounds yummy, going to give it a try out over the next few days.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good....:0( - Hope you feel better soon.