Saturday, February 11, 2006

Codes, loaves and woes

As the children had all recovered, my Mum offered to have all three of them today during the day whilst dh was at work. The idea was that this would give me a chance to catch up on all of my jobs.

As no-one else was in the house, I felt it silly to put the heating on and put my snuggly dressing gown on over the top of my clothes, with a second pair of socks. Thank goodness the postman didn't need to knock today. However, after 3 1/2 hours sitting at the computer, updating my internet shopping site, I was absolutely freezing. I took a break to turn my hand to my first gluten free loaf. I justified having the electric fire on in order to "prove" the loaves!

Unfortunately, after remembering to stop and have some lunch, I was ill again. Things kinda deteriated after that. I struggled on at the pc but to be honest, writing javascript/html with some kind of gastric flu is not a good idea!

I took another break to make some fairy cakes - gluten free. These at least looked like the real thing. The loaves - well, I don't know yet how they taste but they look like cast concrete door stops.

I finally gave up at 6.30pm, put the fire back on, and - gasp - watched some television. Do you know, it actually does channels for adults, not just for children? I hadn't realised that ;-)

The boys came home in fine spirits, and tasted the cakes . Today at their Nan's they had watched another dvd from BT, this time about not making hoax emergency calls. J then spent an hour on two great Imagine the Universe cds that we received from NASA (posting to the UK as well!). S read his book to Nan. I was proud of them for doing their learning whilst they were there.

I think it's going to be another early night for me. The trouble is, as a Mum, you don't get the chance to have a day off sick to get better. Who mothers the mothers?! I hate the way that it makes every cold or bug drag on so.

Mutter, mutter, mumble, feeling sorry for myself....

No comments: