Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Experimenting

We've had fun with some science this week.

We "cleaned" some copper pennies.












We then plated a nail!


These are the notes I wrote for it.

Science seems to have grabbed everyone's interest at the moment, even Samuel, which is great. We also got our group publicised in the Bromley Times last week, with our appeal for a venue in which to carry out our regular science meetings with our Science & Engineering Ambassador. I really hope we get a response - today we got a new member from the article which was fabulous!

Today the boys have been working through some of the art games in the Tate Learning website. We hope to try and make a collage later on.

I felt moved to comment on a piece in the Guardian yesterday. The professor states that "The values pupils are taught at school should not be dictated by the views of their parents ". The comments on the article have been many, but it seems to have deteriorated into a slanging match between pro- and anti- religious freedoms supporters. Some of the language has been appalling. However, my response to the piece (to save you having to wade through the vitriol under the "comments") was:

If this piece is about what schools should teach, and whether parents have a right to influence WHAT is taught (which I thought it was), then I have to disagree with the funamental assumption behind David's article.

The European Convetion for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, Article 2 of Protocol No 1 says that "No person shall be denied the right to education.... the State shall respect the right of parents to ensure such education and teaching in conformity with their own religious and philosopical convictions".
In the UK, in 1985 a Court case defined an education as 'suitable' "if it primarily equips a child for life within the community of which he is a member, rather than the way of life in the country as whole, as long as it does not foreclose the child's options in later years to adopt some other form of life if he wishes to do so"

So, I have the legal right to ask that my child's education be tailored to MY community/beliefs, as long as it still leaves the door open for them to understand and take part in any other community in the future (so, if I raise them Christians, they should understand and be open to any and no faith, and be free to decide for themselves in the future).

But, if as David asserts, *schools* should not teach what we want our children to learn, then home education is the only way that we can fulfil the Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms that the law agrees we have!

No further comments on my comment yet!

I've just spent a pleasant half hour (on my own!) in the library. As I kid I read through all the books in the children's section of Orpington library (and I do actually mean all!) taking out my maximum number of books at least once, and sometimes twice a week. I loved that library. It feels wierd to be back there again, but the kids section is still great and full of books for the boys.

It's been nice too though to get some new adult books to read! Its my one relaxation which I allow myself once the children are all in bed.

Oh, by the way, I've finally tracked down the article that refers to the interview I did on home education for Eve magazine. It's not exactly what I said (surprise surprise). I'll scan it and upload it here later for your verdict!


No comments: