Friday, January 06, 2006

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Today was very special, as I got to go out with my eldest on our own. We realised that, other than going to the shops, we'd never just gone out - the two of us. He is such a funny, intelligent and fast-mouthed lad that it was just like going out with my best mate.

We went together to see The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. The Narnia books were some of my childhood favourites and it has been great to see ds1 getting into them all.

He worked really hard in the morning, without any prompting, to do an hour's learning before we went to see the film, rather than put it off until afterwards, and I was so proud of him for that.

We are now both looking forward to the follow up. Two great educational resources are available: http://www.filmeducation.org/primary/narnia.html and http://www.thenarniaacademy.org/.

My parents stayed with the other two boys whilst we were out and, although ds2 only played, once I got back he did knuckle down and managed 45 minutes of learning. A slight step backwards, but I feel that the fact of a daily commitment from him is more important than the quantity at the moment.

For myself, I'm pleased to be at the end of a week which has been hard work, but which has brought plenty of rewards. Definately a week in which I have been blessed as a mother by spending time with my boys. I am determined to take into next week a "half full" mentality.

No comments: